Friday, August 31, 2012

We're Big Kids Now!

Hello friends and family!

The day has come! Joe and I both have jobs! Well, Joe has had his since we moved out here in June.  But I've joined the Big Kid Club now!

I'm a real nurse!!!
I recently found a nursing position working on the antepartum/postpartum unit at Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington, VA. I get to work with new moms and their newborns! Yes, it's the best job in the world.  It's actually the largest unit in the hospital-- and growing more every day! Check out the picture of my badge-- it's got a pink background which means that I have super cool special access to different pediatric floors. Yes, it makes me feel like a special agent. No, I don't always play the Mission-Impossible theme song in my head when I walk through the doors. Just most of the time.

Joe's job is going well, too! He'll have a post about all his fun happenings soon!

We put our heads together and thought up a few lessons that you learn once you join the Adult World:
- You dread going to the mailbox. It's just filled with things that will drain your money. And that makes you sad.
- Always have a back up set of scrubs, shirts, ties, or pants at the ready. Inevitably, you will spill the coffee that you are too tired to pour into your tumbler on yourself.
- There will be the day where your alarm from your cell phone is on vibrate. Then you run around like a crazy person and still get to work late.
- Drive slowly when in a parking garage. Otherwise, you'll hit a speed bump so hard that you think you have run over a deer. I even stopped to look!
- Make big dinners, then freeze the leftovers. Cooking is fun and all, but it's also tiring. Freezing is a great lazy way to ensure you have yummy foods all through the week; not just on Monday when you have the energy to make something.  
- When on your work commute in DC summer heat, always leave enough time to get to work early. That way, once you've hiked your way to the metro, hopped on a crowded train, and walked the rest of the way to your office you have time to stop by the bathroom and air out the sweat stains. Joe's everyday reality. 
- Be careful when you attempt to multitask. If you try to take out the recycling, garbage, grocery bags, and overdue library books to the car at the same time your heel might just get clipped by the door on the way out. Then you won't realize it's bleeding until you're well on your way into downtown traffic, and so the only thing you could do is use a tampon as a gauze pad to staunch the blood. Yes, this is my true story. I should star on a reality show.

Now share your tried-and-true Adult World lessons! We'd love to hear them. Clearly, we need all the advice we can get!

Love and miss you all.

Had to throw in the first day of work photo.... Props to Joe for waking up at 5:30 to take this picture.
Blake and Joe :)

1 comment:

  1. So proud of you guys!! Can't believe how adult-y you are :) Congrats on the job, pretty lady!

    ReplyDelete